Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Internet: Friend or Foe?

We all have a type of disease in our hearts. It's known as an addiction. For some, it may be excessive use of something good to the extent that it starts to harm their soul/body; whilst others are addicted to things that are already detrimental to our physical and mental well-being in the first place. In both cases, this addiction becomes unlawful for us to consume. 

Of course, anything is good if it is used in moderation, exceptions given to that which has already been classified as forbidden. It is easy to put in words what we can or cannot do but harder to implement it in our daily lives. Some find it hard to give up things that others might not even think twice about. We all have our own little addiction that we are trying to overcome. May Allah (swt) make it easy for us, ameen.

Here is my story.

My name is 'All My Wonders'* and I am addicted to the internet. 
I am on it after I wake up and before I sleep.
You will usually find me on the net if I'm not occupied doing housework and/or other things. 
When I click on the browser, it is almost always the same webpages that I open. 
Most of these websites relate to the dunya, some about the hereafter.
But majority of my time is wasted on the former. 
I am in a constant battle with my nafs (desires).
I hate myself for it yet I can't help but give in.
Oh Allah, I know you don't change a condition of a people until they change that within themselves first.
Help me find a way to do so. And then help me with it. 
I feel like a failure and a weak believer for letting my desires take over. 
Someone once said, 'If you want to know where your heart is.. Look where your mind wanders.'
I don't like what this addiction is doing to my heart. I don't like what it's doing to my mind.
It controls my life. Help me stop it.
I miss you, oh Allah. I miss the Quran in my heart. I miss your words and your remembrance.
Help me be strong to manage my time and overcome diseases of the heart.
Purify my heart and my soul.
Let me live my life for Your sake and allow me to attain Your Pleasure and Your Paradise.

Ameen thumma ameen.


*blog name

5 comments:

  1. I need helppppp with the same problem tooooooo!!! Im like mostly always onlinee!! Ughhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes...that quote hit home! I have an obsession with catching up with my fave tv shows online. I don't know what happened...but there was college and then a year or two afterwards that I was able to completely let go of tv! I went from just watching my top three fave shows while I do my housework...to having an entire list of shows that I need to watch the next day. It is so addicting!!! May Allah (swt) help us control our nafs and help us use our time wisely. Ameen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicly written.... :)
    You have nice blog here...
    Visit my blog I will be happy to see you there --> Stay Blessed

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a debate that has been going on for a long time. I think the Internet, like most mediums, has its ups and downs. When people say the Internet is filled with fitna I think the same can be said about books and magazines. The Internet only provides us with easier access to what we want to see and read.

    I think if you want to be "addicted" to the Qur'an (and other ibadah) you have to surround yourself with people and things that remind you of why it's important to be "addicted" to it. That's what I try to do anyway =0)

    ReplyDelete