Sunday, December 5, 2010

Save yourself and your families.

For the past few weeks, I've had an urge to go and make dawah. I want to call people to Islam. I want to talk about Allah (swt) all the time. I love speaking about Him. I love being in the presence of people who love him. I want to tell people about Allah and his bounties. The thing is, I don't know what to say or how to say it. I lack knowledge. I lack experience. For me, I write better than I speak. I can't think on the spot nor can I convince people with my words. 

The other day, I was out distributing pamphlets around my neighbourhood. I came across an old Greek woman and offered her my help in carrying her pot of spaghetti bolognese for her grandson. While walking with her, I asked her about God and whether she believed in God. She couldn't speak English well so it was really difficult to keep the conversation going. She said in a strong Greek accent, "Yea...there is one God for everybody." And then I just blanked. What was I supposed to say next? I asked if she could read, she said no. So I didn't give her a pamphlet. Then, her grandson stopped by as he was driving. I gave him the pot and went on my way. You know what I should have done? I should have given him some dawah material. I didn't. When I think back, there are potentially so many things I could or should have done for the sake of Allah. But I hesitated. I was afraid.

I want to help our Ummah. I want to help people find their way. I want to save people from the harsh punishment of the grave. punishment on the Day of Judgement. punishment in Hellfire. I tried speaking to my mum and step-dad about working for the hereafter instead for this dunya...but only my step-dad was listening and conversing with me. I cried. I cried because I'm failing to save my families from Hellfire. I cried because I doing my best and that is still not good enough. I cried because I can't save them if they can't save themselves. I'm being patient. I know these things take time. Lots and lots of time. I know that I can't give up. I can't lose hope in Allah (swt). It is true though. Allah doesn't guide those whom you love, rather He guides those whom He wills. And that is a fact we have to accept. As we are, ultimately, His slaves after all. 

Ya Allah.
Rabbi Sal'em.
Oh our Lord, save us.

9 comments:

  1. I really hope from the bottom of my heart that Allah makes it possible for you to be fearless when it comes to Dawah. Wallahy I am SO terrified when it comes to this. My heart chokes up, and my mind freezes. I always felt as if it is not my place to ever mention Islam to other people when I myself am not in the best of positions to talk about Islam. As for my family, I help my little sisters the most, because I know they will listen to me. My mother is the most difficult to get to listen because well you know how the older generation HATE to be corrected by the younger. You know what you are right, this stuff does take time. We shouldn't expect to be able to do this in a matter of months. I think you should start with a Muslim group of sisters, a young group especially. You know that's how I personally started to follow the religion a young woman about your age now, started giving us interesting lectures might I add she studied Islam in Lebanon. At that stage subhanallah I was busy smoking and talking to guys etc. But you know what? It's the ones further from religion that are easier to get to listen compared to the ones that act like they already know it. Anyways so yes start small start within the community but first have like A LOOOT of knowledge, wait educate yourself properly then it'll be easier to educate others. INshallah this becomes easy on you I really hope it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great lesson - may Allah reward you for your efforts, inshallah:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adored reading this post. Insha'Allah, it will be easy for you to give dawah. I know just what you feel like. I have this incredible burst of excitment inside of me because I want to talk about Allah all the time! I can't really explain the feeling well, but I think what you feel is the same as myself. I sure wish we lived close to each other and could embark on this journey together!! Masha'Allah you are such an amazing woman!!! I will keep you in my prayers :)
    Love you sweet sister <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. first time commenting here, your blog is one of the most honest blogs i've ever read :) and this post is too beautiful.

    i understand what you're going through, and not once did i feel like giving up..but Alhamdulillah i'm still here. Allah doesn't guide those whom you love, rather He guides those whom He wills. let's have faith :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really understand what you feel like. I've had the same feelings and thoughts often and yea, i too look back and want to kick myself for not acting smart enough at times. ehhh..

    Inshallah Allah SWT will help u attain your dreams ameen :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. May Allah Help us to get better day by day, sisters..

    wa salam :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another first time commenter on this blog! i stumbled across your blog today Alhamdulillah! i can really relate to your post. Especially when you said "The thing is, I don't know what to say or how to say it. I lack knowledge. I lack experience. For me, I write better than I speak. I can't think on the spot nor can I convince people with my words".....i am exactly the same!

    JazakAllahkhair, no doubt i will visit your blog often insha-Allah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bismillah. Kunjungi/visit http://transblogfauzan-indonesia.blogspot.com AND CLICK THE HOME. SEMOGA BERMANFAAT. SILAHKAN DISAMPAIKAN KEPADA KELUARGA DAN TEMAN-TEMAN/PLEASE TELL YOUR FAMILY, AND FRIENDS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow sister, You are truly something else! Masah Allah, your heart is in the right place! May Allah soften the hearts of your parents.
    Here is one way to get them to change: start reading ahadith in your/their home. When my family does this, we immediately feel the effect of it- Alhamdulillah. It also serves to create love and warmth amongst our family members. May Allah keep you steadfastness on this deen♡

    ReplyDelete