Thursday, July 1, 2010

How low can you go?

Let me tell you something,
anger
solves

nothing. 

My Dad was upset with me today. I'll just cut to the chase. It was all a miscommunication. He was angry at me for not telling him something...claiming that it was all "my fault". Yes, I told him about it a little too late. But the thing is, I would have said it before had he not been impatient and frustrated in the first place. I don't want to go into details about what happened, all I want to say is that when you're angry, you don't think logically. Not only do you upset yourself, you also upset others around you. It's only when things calm down after a while that you realised what you have done or what you should have done. Save yourself and others the trouble and energy and act appropriately. I know it can be extremely tough at times, especially when you're in a hurry, but honestly, when you're calm, everyone else is calm. When you're furious, you make others furious. Your attitude is like a mirror, it reflects on others. 

He was arguing that it was my fault. I believed that it was only partly my fault. I was almost about to say "Well, it was not just me. It was your fault too." when I decided to swallow my anger/pride/ego and I simply said "Sorry, it was my fault." I had to hold back my tears...I didn't want them to know that I was upset. My lips were trembling as I was driving home. I did that because I love my parents and I knew it was not right of me to be fighting with them, let alone blame it on them. I did that because Rasul (saw) would have swallowed his anger. In fact, I should have even done it earlier. I should have just kept my mouth shut and said "Sorry" without even arguing my point. It is just too damn hard to swallow your anger up so quick to the point where no one would have guessed that you were angry. 

That said, I'm glad I'm not that type of person who gets angry often. I only get worked up when the other person starts screaming at me (although this only applies to family members)...which is even worse. *Sigh* Apart from that, angry strangers amuse me. The angrier they are, the more I smile at them. But there have been cases when I just can't hold my smile for any longer...and I breakdown. 

So the lesson today is:

Swallow your pride.
Swallow your anger.

More importantly,
swallow your ego.

When you do it for the sake of Allah, you'll forget about the problem after a while. Because you know you have pleased your Creator. It won't even seem like a big deal anymore. 

So smile...
you'll make others smile. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh god i totally gotta remember this, it IS so important, i get in sooo many problems with my family members, sometimes even my mom which is the most important person in my life, just because i refuse to let it go, and i keep arguing my point, and that always just ends up bad, and Islam teaches us to control our anger and stay calm then deal with the problem, SubhanAllah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea this is one that'll help u biggggg time when ur married and have kids. there is ZERO point in arguing. other than proving to be as stupid as ur 5 yr old kid or irrational as ur husband..lol ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. BM: It is hard...its so hard. but do it slowly inshaAllah. start with the little things and then eventually it will get easier for you. :)

    Anya: lol ahh the life of a woman. But we are strong, so inshaAllah we can do it and make the example. Once you have that stability, your family will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anger. So not worth it.

    It's hard to control our emotions but that's why we get rewarded for our patience =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mashAllah a nice writing. Me and my friend read it together and felt each word is true. So we got the lesson together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a beautiful lesson indeed,May Allah be pleased with you

    ReplyDelete
  7. You worded this post nicely :)

    I only get angry with my family and yell at them as well, which is waaaay wrong :( At others, I'm quite controlled, which is weird.

    Fighting with a sibling though: I can go crazy O_o

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this postttt!!! i think i gotta save the adviceeee! =P xoxoxoxoxox!!! im sooo gladddd i found ur bloggg and met youuu! lol. =)

    ReplyDelete